Warfighter Sports have provided 8,200 wounded warriors and family opportunities to participate in more than 30 sports since 2003, free of any costs.
The mission of Warfighter Sports is simple:
Provide adaptive sports to severely wounded warriors free of cost. Thanks to generous supporters, they have supported 1,500 wounded warriors just last year alone.
Apply To Be A Warfighter Here
Warfighter Sports Individual Training Grants
Warfighter Sports is offering grants to veterans and members of the armed forces with permanent physical disabilities who do not have nearby access to adaptive training in the sport of their choice.
Grant funding can be used to assist with participation expenses associated with their individual sport goals. Successful applicants will be awarded grant funding as well as Warfighter Sports apparel to wear during their participation.
The goal of this program is to help veterans and members of the armed forces with permanent physical disabilities gain independence in their chosen sport, so that even if an adaptive club is not available nearby, they have the ability to participate in non-adaptive programs alongside family and friends.
Grants of up to $1000, per warrior, per year are available on a rolling basis until all funds have been spent. Funds are only distributed once valid receipts and reports have been received by Disabled Sports USA. Applicants will be notified if their grant is approved within 21 business days of their submission.
- Veterans or members of the armed forces with a permanent physical disability* who do not have nearby access to adaptive training in their chosen sport
- Veterans or members of the armed forces with a permanent physical disability* who are seeking advanced training, competitive or classification opportunities in their chosen sport
- $1000 maximum grant awarded per year
- Must participate in qualified sporting activity (see application for specific list)
*i.e. spinal cord injury, amputation, vision impairment, traumatic brain injury, nerve/joint or muscle damage that permanently impedes function.
Sample Expenses Covered:
- Travel expenses to train in an adaptive sport if not offered locally
- Travel to attend classification opportunities or Paralympic competition
- Coaching fees for individualized instruction
- Adaptive sports equipment not covered by the VA
The following is to be submitted no later than two weeks post-activity or by September 1, 2015 (whichever is soonest)
- Brief summary of program outcomes (one paragraph)
- Photo of participation in activity (preferably while wearing Warfighter Sports provided apparel)
- Provide valid receipts for expenses