Sudbury has a completely accessible play area that allows anyone with disabilities to be a part of a community area and develop physically, socially, and emotionally. Children and youth with an without disabilities now have an opportunity to develop tolerance, awareness, and compassion for others in a fun and socially positive atmosphere. Parents are able to walk or wheel onto the structures to play with their children and the wheelchair friendly surface allows children and parents to move about the playground with ease. The playground is located across the street from the Fairbank Community Center at Haskell Field. GPS 40 Fairbank Road Sudbury, MA 01776
Inclusive and Adaptive Recreation
The Adaptive Sports & Recreation Program at the Sudbury Park & Recreation Department is committed to providing year round, affordable, community based programming for individuals with disabilities. Offering comprehensive and varied programs of recreation activities as well as resources for residents, we truly recognize the importance of recreation and leisure in the lives of all community members. The Adaptive Sports & Recreation program strives to improve the quality of life for children and adults with disabilities through continued and successful involvement in sports and recreation programs here in their own back yard.
Program goals include:
- To increase the participation of children and adults with disabilities in existing parks and recreation programs.
- To provide person-centered, individualized support to meet the needs of the participating individual.
- To enhance the physical, mental, emotional, and social well-being of children and adults with disabilities via their participation in the recreation activities provided by the department.
- To increase the independence, confidence, and self-esteem of the children and adults with disabilities taking part in the department’s programs.
- To provide opportunities for people with disabilities to cultivate new recreational interests, meet new people, and possibly develop new friendships.
- To advocate for individuals with disabilities’ rights to recreation participation, community access, and community involvement.